Thursday, March 01, 2007

Six Months Down.....

Wow. It is really starting to sink in, after six months, finally. I keep waiting for those shoes to drop and I have been lucky so far. We have had some awful scares and some interminable waits and some not-so-healthy skepticism (ok, that’s not so much “we” as “me”) but while I’ve been worrying and fretting and all that, life is just moving along. And these babies are one pound eleven ounces each. (If only they were, say, 30 pounds each, so I can explain away weight gain!) Despite all odds, my body is growing two healthy (knock on wood) babies.

Today I went to the post office to buy stamps and I thought “I am going to the post office to buy stamps to mail invitations to our baby shower.” I don’t normally narrate my day like that, but it just really made me feel like I was living someone else’s life. I go to baby showers, not have them. And yet here we are.

We are planning a very informal celebration. It’s open to men, women and children. It isn’t shower-like per se. There will be no ribbon hats because I don’t look good in hats (see above picture) and no present opening because I hate opening presents in front of people—even Nicole. Christmas morning is a nightmare for me. I sit there picking at the corners of my presents. On my birthday it might take me five minutes to open a gift that Nicole puts in my lap. Seriously. When she gave me a commitment band, it took me about a half hour to open the little box. Seriously. I’ve always been this way. I can’t say it is shyness: I have danced on too many bars and shared too many intimate details of my life with complete strangers to pull out that card. I know, I’m strange. I wish I could be more like my nephew, who can not only open his own presents, but everyone else’s.

So I am really looking forward to this non-shower, because it gives us the chance to celebrate this amazing babies event with the people we care about. I’ll probably be a mess and cry the whole time.

Above is the front of the invitation, a picture taken one week before the egg retrieval that resulted in these two babies. It’s funny how casual the imaginary dialogue is on the card! Ha! But I couldn’t exactly put “If nothing catastrophic happens, please join us to celebrate…”

5 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Great invitation. I love it.
I HATE opening presents too.
I've started tearing them open and acting stupid so that I can take away from the fact that I feel like a complete ass.

I am so excited for you to experience the wonderous life of babies. Be glad that you are having twins first. You have no ideas or misconceptions about how things are supposed to be going. :)

Are you going to try for more babies after this ?

Anonymous said...

that invitation is so effing cute!
odd, I am very much like you in the need to open gifts away from others. I think (for me) it stems from wanting to people please and if I don't respond in the correct way I am apt to let someone down. Just the idea of people watching me receive and open a gift makes me squirmy.

Sophia said...

love the pic!

Eva said...

Love the invitation, very cute!
I also didn't open presents at my non-shower shower -- because I had been to one two many showers while trying to get pregnant where I had to sit through cute baby gift after cute baby gift and I didn't want to do that to anyone else. Believe it or not, some people gave me a really hard time about this at the event and tried to convince me to start opening -- hopefully your guests will be more tactful.

Dee said...

Great picture for your invite.

Congrats on six months! I also noticed as of today you're at 105 days to go. Almost double digits! Congrats!!!