Saturday, January 26, 2008

Not The Most Nutritious of Dinners...But It's Delicious


Today I spent about all day making homemade pretzels. Nicole said that we could have walked to Auntie Anne’s and back fifteen times in the time I spent being Betty Crocker. Which is true. And it would have been cheaper too. But it isn’t nearly as satisfying as doing it all yourself.

I had to make the dough twice. The first recipe I got was off the back of a bag of flour and it sucked. The dough didn’t rise and it was hard and crumbly. I started all over and used a different recipe. The second recipe was perfect, with salt and flour and sugar and melted butter in the dough. End result, they are dangerously good. I also made cookies today, but that is for a friend’s birthday.

And yet I have no appetite. I had breakfast around 7:00 and that’s it. No lunch, no dinner. I ate a couple pretzels but not because I was hungry, just because they are delicious and no one can eat when they aren’t hungry like me. It’s a skill. I think this is a Lexapro side effect. I read that it could cause a change in appetite, but I assumed it would make me hungrier. But today, no appetite, kind of like how I lose my appetite on hot, sticky summer days.

Pictured above, pretzels! And cookie dough! We made special shaped pretzels…mine is the circle and Nicole’s is the heart. Her first shape was a wren but I overruled it as too abstract and hard to work with (they dough is poached before it is baked). I’m the Grinch like that.

6 comments:

Denise said...

yummy.

Shelli said...

lordy, if the lexapro made me LESS hungry? I'd ask for the up to 20mg per day.


le sigh.

PS - love the "cookie diet" ad. Heh, flicka and I might have to go check it out....

Dee said...

They both look delicious. I'm having a bread craving. Homemade pretzels may cure it.

Anonymous said...

oh yum. i could eat a dozen wren-shaped pretzels right about now. delish! consider posting the recipe? p.s. we put our babies back to back in the swing at the playground today - inspired by YOU!

Anonymous said...

good night those pretzels look AMAZING. I can almost smell the warm salt in the air.

mmmmmmmmmm
xo

Anonymous said...

you MADE pretzels? impressive! I think I now need to go to Auntie Annies...