Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This is (sort of) Goodbye


It's been a good run on Blogger, but I am closing the shutters on this place.

I have a hundred different reasons for making this move to wordpress. For example: I feel the need to protect the girls' privacy more. They are getting older and at some point I will have to explain to them why I chose to share their lives with the world wide web. It's time to narrow the audience a bit.

I am also doing it because I am tired of censoring myself. I want to write about certain people (who, incidentally, have neither computer nor access to them, and if you don't know who I am talking about, then you might not be a long-term reader!) and yet I feel nervous that somehow, in some way, my words—though honest and I stand by them—will get back to them. That's way too passive aggressive for me.

But what pushed me over the edge is the fact that I lied. It's a medium-sized lie, but it can slide into some negative consequences quickly. I'm still kinda treading water on it, and I want to write about it, but I can't. However, with password-protected posts, I can let the words flow.

So this is how this will work. For now, the blog will remain open. I may turn it into a subscriber-only blog down the road, but for now, some of it will be open for all to read. However, a majority of the posts will be password protected. This means if you want to read the post, you need to email me for the password. I will use one password to unlock all of the posts. Easy breezy!

I'm still FTPing and tweaking and designing and protecting and lots of other gerunds. I hope to have it all worked out soon. However, if you want to get a jump on it, email me for the password at niffernet at mac dot com. It might take me a day or two to respond with the password.

And now I need to figure out how to redirect people from blogspot. Anyone care to save me the google search?

Click on the title of this post and it will bring you to the new site:

www.arcanematters.wordpress.com

It's gonna get a lot more open around here. Or there, I should say.

6 comments:

Bess said...

I will be no help, but I'm intrigued. I think I have a similar problem. I mean, I think even a similar person. I looked into Wordpress too. I couldn't figure out how to easily do the change and thus just put it off. I hope all of the gerunding goes smoothly for you. I definitely Get the need for the move.

Rachel @ The House of Burks said...

I have been reading since the girls were about 1, and would love to continue. But I don't have your e-mail address to ask for the password. :( Can I keep reading?

Truck Driver Wife said...

Sheesh its been a while since work cut out the blog access. Would love to read your private blog if you will. Can i have the password?

joeandcoriplace@aol.com

Stacey said...

I've been reading too but not always every day and I don't comment regulalry...would love to keep reading. I have a private blog (can give you access) and I agree, it is better for your protection. I had family members starting drama about things I'd say so it is great now--I can be honest.

Stacey said...

stacey_bourgeois@hotmail.com

teeveezed said...

Oh, you've moved!

amazonfm@opera.iinet.net.au

If that's okay.