Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fringe Benefits

We hit a mini-milestone this morning. Sometime in the wee hours of dawn, I felt Baby B punching me with her little hand. In my sleepy haze, I noticed that she was punching me in a regular pattern for an extended period of time. Eventually it occurred to me this wasn’t punches, it was hiccups! I have been so excited for this to happen…along with the u/s picture of one of the babies sucking her thumb, which hasn’t happened yet. One down, one more to go. I quickly woke Nicole up and put her hand on the spot so she could feel it too. It was—to use my favorite word—surreal. There is a little baby inside of me who has the hiccups. It reminded me how lucky I was to be in this place now. The hiccups lasted a couple of minutes, then she moved around a bit and settled back in for some more sleep. And so did Nicole. Then, bizarrely, I hiccupped twice. Not a bad way to start the morning.

Later I visited my friend Jen, who has toddler b/g twins. Now when I am with her I feel like I am getting a sneak preview of life with twins. They play so well together and entertain each other. It’s cute the way they talk to each other and even apologize when they do something wrong! They are each other’s playmates. It makes me so much more excited for my own babies to come out. My visit turned out to be more like a scenery change, since I spent most of my time laying on her couch, even napping for an hour! I only moved to an upright position when it was time to eat lunch (pasta with vodka sauce...yum!). Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

I think I am at the point when the babies are infringing on my stomach space. I get really full really quickly these days, but, ever the trooper, I eat through the pain. I think I need to stop that, because it just leads to stomach distress later on. I just had dinner with my friend Annie. I had an appetizer and a side order of vegetables and barely put a dent in either. I want to eat more, I really do. I just feel so full, literally and figuratively.

Pictured above is Nicole and me, at 31 weeks. I keep thinking I can’t possibly get any bigger and yet nature finds a way…..

3 comments:

K J and the kids said...

You look MARVELOUS !
Seriously, you look great. You are doing SO well. Nice job mom.
I'm telling you, drink ensures....they aren't that bad.

Motel Manager said...

Aren't hiccups weird? My little one gets them all the time now - maybe 5-7 times a day, often after I eat or drink something sugary.

You look great!!!

Dee said...

We just felt the hiccups for the first time this week. It was amazing!!! How funny we experienced this at about the same time. I was starting to worry we were never going to feel her hiccup.

Hope you're doing well! I don't know if we'll beat you or not. I think it's definitely a race between the two of us.